Students planning to minor in music must meet the following requirements:
- Four classroom courses including MUS 135, 136, 343 or 344, plus one additional course
- Four terms in a performance group, at least two of which are in Elmhurst College performance ensembles
- Three terms of applied music credit either in the same applied specialty or split with two terms in one and the third term in another instrument or voice
One-half of the total courses listed for the minor above must be earned at Elmhurst College.
Minor in Composition
一道本不卡免费高清The minor in composition is designed for music majors who wish to pursue studies in the analytical and creative aspects of music while maintaining a primary focus in another music discipline.
The minor in composition for music majors is awarded to students who have met the following requirements:
- Completion of courses and requirements for one of these degrees: B.A. in Music, B.M. in Music Education, B.M. in Jazz Studies, B.M. in Performance, or B.S. or B.M. in Music Business
- Composition minors will also complete the following courses:
- AMC 100/300 Composition Seminar (concurrent with AMC and AML applied lessons)
- AMC 202-302 Applied Music Composition
- MUS 335 Orchestration and Arranging
- MUS 395 Special Studies in Music Theory
- MUS 492 Independent Study and Research: Capstone Composition Recital (.50 credit)
- One of the following:
- AMA 202-302 Arranging
- AMC 202-302 Composition
- AMC 222-322 Film Scoring
- AMC 242-342 Songwriting
- AML 202-302 Digital Music
Minor in Jazz Studies
The minor in jazz studies is designed for students who wish to pursue a program of study in jazz and commercial music in addition to their primary area of study. This program creates the theoretical foundation necessary to be proficient in the study and performance of jazz and related commercial music. The art of improvisation is a major component of the music, and the study of it is essential to understanding the music. Students in this program will be educated in such a way that they may create a living for themselves in the world of jazz and commercial music.
Jazz study minors will also complete the following courses:
- MUS 120 Jazz Fundamentals I
- MUS 121 Jazz Fundamentals II
- MUS 430 Jazz Improvisation I
- One credit from the following:
- MUS 318 The Making of Jazz (1 credit)
- MUS 223 Jazz Keyboard Fundamentals (.50 credit)
- MUS 325 Rhythm Section Fundamentals (.50 credit)
- MUS 350 Jazz Arranging (1 credit)
- MUS 431 Jazz Improvisation II (1 credit)
- AMJ 101-102 Jazz Improvisation (1 credit)
- Large Jazz Ensemble (three terms, noncredit to .75 credit)
- Jazz Combo (four terms, noncredit to 2 credits)
Minor in Music Production
For students interested in a concentration in music production that prepares students for careers in media music, audio engineering, live mixing, record producing and more.
- MUS 290 Digital Music I
- MUS 291 Digital Music II
- MUS 332 Production of Sound Recordings
- MUS 333 Audio Engineering
The music production minor is a sequence of courses designed:
- As an examination of the role served by current recording, editing and production technology in the contemporary music industry
- To prepare students for employment in the music industry in various capacities, including arranger, media composer, sound recordist and editor, contractor, publisher and producer
- As an additive utility for students pursuing a major program in music
- As a program of study that is useful to students of other disciplines, such as computer science, media arts and more
Minor in Music for Education Majors
Contact the Director of Music Education for specific requirements.
Minor in Religious Studies and Church Music for Music Majors
The Department of Music and Department of Religious Studies offer a linked program of study for students who want to serve the church through music and theology.
The curriculum provides a breadth of study in music and religious studies, as well as a foundation in one of the areas of the College’s applied music program that assures a sustainable level of musical expertise. Individuals interested in pursuing this minor should make their intentions known in writing to the chairs of the music and religious studies departments.
一道本不卡免费高清The minor is awarded to students who have met the following requirements:
- Completion of the courses and requirements for the B.A. in Music
- Completion of the following courses:
- REL 200 Biblical Studies and Contemporary Issues
- REL 320 The Emergence of Christian Thought
- REL 321 Modern and Contemporary Christian Thought
- MUS 215 Music in the Christian Church
- MUS 369 Conducting I (.50 credit)
- MUS 492 Independent Study and Research: Church Music Field Work
Additional course work in theology, conducting and orchestration is encouraged.