Major in Biochemistry
一道本不卡免费高清The biochemistry major lies at the intersection between chemistry and biology.
Students receive an interdisciplinary education focusing on the chemistry of living things and take courses from both the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and the Department of Biology.
This interdisciplinary course of study serves those students intending to pursue careers in biochemistry, pharmacy, human and veterinary medicine, food and agricultural chemistry, and medical technology, as well as numerous other professional health-related areas.
As biochemistry majors, all students will have a chance to do independent research with a faculty member, gain valuable presentation and writing skills through the department’s seminar series, and have room in their schedule to pursue other majors or minors. Students interested in health-related fields are strongly encouraged to visit the health professions advising office一道本不卡免费高清 for various shadowing and internship opportunities.
- CHM 211, 212 Chemical Principles I and II
or CHM 220 Advanced Chemical Principles
- CHM 221 Analytical Chemistry
- CHM 311, 312 Organic Chemistry I and II
- CHM 315 Introduction to Biochemistry
- CHM 316 Intermediate Biochemistry
- CHM 412 Physical Chemistry: Quantum Mechanics and Spectroscopy
- CHM 413 Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics, Kinetics and Statistical Mechanics
- CHM 420 Chemical Instrumentation 1: Chromatographic and Spectroscopic Techniques (.75 credit)
- CHM 494 Independent Research (.50 credit)
- CHM 496, 499 Chemistry Research Seminar I and II (.25 credit each)
- CHM 497, 498 Chemistry Literature Seminar I and II (.25 credit each)
- MTH 151, 152 Calculus I and II
- PHY 121, 122 General Physics I and II
- BIO 200, BIO 201 General Biology I and II
- Plus either:
- BIO 107, 108 Anatomy and Physiology I and II
- BIO 315 Genetics
Chemistry and/or biology courses with a minimum grade of C and taken within the last 10 years may be transferred into the department.
Depending on your career goals, faculty will assist you in selecting classes to enhance your education. Common suggestions include: prerequisite courses for professional programs, math classes beyond MTH 152 Calculus II, CS 220 Computer Science I, BIO 413一道本不卡免费高清 Molecular Genetics.